The California Academy Of Sciences

California Academy of Sciences is one of the largest natural history museum in the world. The Academy began in 1853 as a community to learn and still do a large amount of original research, with a museum exhibition and education efforts significantly during the twentieth century.


Built back in 2008, the building of new natural history museum in the United States. The main building in Golden Gate Park reopened on September 27, 2008.

HISTORY
California Academy of Natural Sciences was founded in 1853, just three years after California joined the United States, becoming the first community of its kind in the Western U.S. Its stated purpose was to conduct "a thorough systematic survey of every part of the State and its rare collection of cabinet production and rich. "That's the name of a more inclusive California Academy of Sciences in 1868.


This academy has a forward-thinking approach to the involvement of women in science, approved a resolution in the first year of its existence that the members "highly approve the aid of women in every department of natural sciences, and invite their cooperation." This policy led to some women who were hired into a professional position as a botanist, entomologist, and other work during the nineteenth century, when opportunities for women in science is limited, and often, those who have only limited cataloging and working rough calculation.
The museum officially opened the first academy in 1874 at the corner of California and Dupont Streets (now Grant Avenue) in what is now Chinatown, and attract up to 80,000 visitors per year. To accommodate its popularity increases, the academy moved to a new and larger building on Market Street in 1891, funded by the legacy of James Lick, a nineteenth-century San Francisco real estate mogul, entrepreneur, and philanthropist. Only fifteen years later, however, the facility becomes Market Street San Francisco earthquake, 1906, which also swept most parts of the academy library and specimen collections. In the vast destruction occurred after the earthquake, the academy curators and staff could only take a single cart of materials, including textbooks minutes academy, membership records, and specimen type 2,000. [5] Fortunately, the expedition to the Galápagos Islands (the first of several sponsored by the academy) already in progress, and it returned seven months later, instantly providing replacement collections for those who lost.

Not until 1916 that the Academy moved to the North American Hall of Birds and Mammals in Golden Gate Park, the first building on the site which became their permanent home. In 1923, Steinhart Aquarium is added, followed in 1934 by the Simson African Hall. 
During World War II, the academy contributed to the American war effort by using the workshop facilities to repair optical and navigation equipment for U.S. Navy ships; San Francisco is a major port for the arena of the Pacific War. 
Years of post-war years saw a flurry of new construction on the site; Hall of Science was added in 1951, followed by the Morrison Planetarium in 1952. Morrison Planetarium is the seventh major planetarium to open in the United States and featuring a star-projector-a-kind, built by a staff member academy (in part using the expertise gained doing optical work for the U.S. Navy during World War II).
Academy of star field projector produces very natural. It is projected irregularly shaped star, rather than circular stars projected by many optical star projector. Irregular shapes are created by placing various-sized grains of silicon carbide into glass star dishes by hand, then aluminizing dishes, and brushing away the silicon carbide grains.
In 1959, Malliard Library, Eastwood Hall of Botany, and the Livermore Chamber of everything added. Throughout the 1960s, the university concentrates on the new field of molecular biology to break away from their specimen collections, entrusting them to the academy and lead to the rapid growth of proprietary academies.
1969 saw more new buildings, Cowell Hall, added to the site. In 1976 several new galleries opened, and the following year saw the construction of "fish roundabout".
In 1985, Howard Duck filmed using a museum, the exhibition Jim Gary's Twentieth Century Dinosaurs was featured prominently in the film.
Before the old building that was demolished in 2005, there is Life through Time gallery, housing a big screen on evolution and paleontology. There's Gem & Mineral Hall, part of the Earthquake, and the exhibition Gary Larson, too.
Title: The California Academy Of Sciences
Posted by:Riszky Nurseno
Published :2011-04-19T18:15:00-07:00
Rating: 3.5
Reviewer: 5 Reviews
The California Academy Of Sciences

1 comment:

Scroll to top